The ability to safely catheterize a patient and ensure that the patient remains comfortable and free from infection and that the catheter functions effectively is a valuable clinical skill. This course is designed to facilitate that clinical skill for you.
Interactive taught session.
Half Day sessions being a minimum 3 hours of contact time.
Who should attend?
All Health Care professionals; Health Care Assistants, Support Workers, Carers, Senior Carers and Nurses who want to enhance their skills and extend their role.
What’s in it for me?
At the end of the session you will be able to:
• You will learn or revisit the essential anatomy and physiology of the body’s urological system.
• Identify the current rationale for the use of indwelling and supra-pubic catheterisation.
• Explore the different types of catheter available, the materials used and how we determine the appropriateness of use for the patient.
• You will learn or revisit essentials of aseptic technique
• Demonstrate the insertion of a self-retaining indwelling urinary catheter using the Adam Rouilly simulator
• Manage any immediate complications and common every day challenges in catheter care.
• Reflect effective catheter management in the patients written documentation and individualised care plan.