Using Safety Harness & Lanyards
AIM: To provide for safe systems of work where work above ground level presents hazardous environment.
On Completion of the Course delegates will be able to;
• Understand the legal implications of work involving work at height and PPE.
• Appreciate common environments where harnesses are essential PPE.
• Appreciate the configuration of the full body harness and lanyard and main features.
• Check the harness and lanyard for defects correctly.
• Fit the harness and lanyard correctly. Understand the importance of correct storage of this equipment when not in use.
Introduction Course arrangements aims and objectives.
The Problem Statistics. Work at height and the problems of security above ground level (handhold, foothold). Harnesses in ladder fall restraint.
PPE at Work Outline of the legal requirements for employer and employee.
The Harness Main features – D rings, shoulder straps thigh straps how the harness is constructed.
Fitting the harness Demonstration and participant practice in fitting the harness and adjusting for correct fit.
The lanyard Main features – Scaffold hook, karabiner shock absorber How the lanyard is constructed, Connecting the lanyard Distances and location points. Importance of ladders
security when in use as a ladder fall restraint.
Harness and lanyard inspection What to watch out for – abrasion cuts, damage to fittings UV and chemical damage etc.
Duration ½ day
Costs £450.00 + VAT (group size of 8 delegates)
All consultants hold professional membership of the chartered Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH).